Obi-Wan Disney+ series on hold
Staff Reporter | On 24, Jan 2020Reading time: 5 mins
Disney+’s Obi-Wan Kenobi series has been put on hold as the scripts are reworked.
The show was announced last year, following long-running speculation about the character’s potential return to the Star Wars universe. Ewan McGregor will be reprising his role as Obi-Wan for the show, which takes place eight years after the events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith.
Hossein Amini (The Alienist, Drive) was tapped to write the series, with Chow, Amini, and McGregor set to serve as Executive Producers alongside Kathleen Kennedy, Tracey Seaward (The Queen) and John Swartz (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story). Jason McGatlin, Lucasfilm’s Executive Vice President Production, is also on board as co-producer.
Now, however, the series is on hold as sources tell THR and Collider that the script and the story have become an issue, and that the whole thing is being retooled. One source tells THR that the planned story covered similar territory to The Mandalorian, with the Jedi master becoming a protective guardian for a younger ward, which may have been a consideration in the decision to pause pre-preduction. THR reports that Lucasfilm is hunting for a new writer, with the project reportedly being reconfigured from six to four episodes.
McGregor told IGN that he did not expect the series’ eventual release date to be delayed, but that filming would move from this summer to the start of 2021.
“It’s just slid to next year, that’s all. The scripts were really good,” he said. “Now that Episode IX came out and everyone at Lucasfilm has got more time to spend on the writing, they felt they wanted more time to write the episodes.”
Director Deborah Chow (who helmed The Mandalorian) remains attached to the project, alongside McGregor.
Deborah Chow to direct Obi-Wan Disney+ series
5th October 2019
Fresh off The Mandalorian, Deborah Chow has been tapped to direct the new Obi-Wan Kenobi series for Disney+.
Ewan McGregor will be reprising his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi for the series, which takes place eight years after the events of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith. The show was announced earlier this year, following long-running speculation about the Trainspotting star’s potential return to the Star Wars universe.
Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy said: “We really wanted to select a director who is able to explore both the quiet determination and rich mystique of Obi-Wan in a way that folds seamlessly into the Star Wars saga. Based on her phenomenal work developing our characters in The Mandalorian, I’m absolutely confident Deborah is the right director to tell this story.”
The series will be written by Hossein Amini (The Alienist, Drive). Chow, Amini, and McGregor will serve as Executive Producers alongside Kathleen Kennedy, Tracey Seaward (The Queen) and John Swartz (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story). Jason McGatlin, Lucasfilm’s Executive Vice President Production, will serve as co-producer.
Another reunion may also take place in front of the camera, with rumours currently spreading through the Internet (along with a huge pile of salt) that Joel Edgerton could return to reprise the roe of Owen Laws, Luke Skywalker’s uncle who, like Obi-Wan, spent his older years on Tatooine.
“Caught up with Joel Edgerton today (check out THE KING! I really enjoyed),” Josh Horowtiz tweeted on Tuesday. “I have almost no doubt based on his coy evasiveness that he will be in the Obi Wan Disney+ series. I’ve seen many an actor playfully evade. I’m placing a big bet that Owen will be back.”
Ewan McGregor to return as Obi-Wan Kenobi in Disney+ series
24th August 2019
Ewan McGregor will return as Obi-Wan Kenobi in a new Disney+ series.
Days after the rumour first surfaced, Disney has made it official: Ewan McGregor definitely reprise his role as the iconic character, which he played across the three Lucas Star Wars prequels.
More details than that are not yet being announced, but the series joins a number of other Star Wars projects in the pipeline for the Disney subscription service, including Jon Favreau’s The Mandalorian, which was born out of the idea of a Boba Fett film, and the Rogue One prequel series following Cassian Andor.
The announcement was made at the D23 Expo last night, when a whole wave of trailers and new titles were confirmed by the House of Mouse. For more on that, click here. The news was greeted by a standing ovation from the excited audience.
Ewan McGregor in talks for Disney+ Kenobi series
17th August 2019
Ewan McGregor’s Obi-Wan Kenobi may soon be back on our screens in his very own TV series.
The Trainspotting star, who first picked up his lightsaber 20 years ago, played the younger version of the Jedi master in all three of George Lucas’ Star Wars prequels: The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. While the Star Wars universe is off exploring new corners and characters, with two fresh trilogies in the pipeline, there’s been speculation for some time about McGregor’s possible reprisal of the role in a Star Wars Story prequel along the lines of Solo.
Now, that possibility has grown into a series instead, fitting in with Lucasfilm owner Disney’s new strategy for its upcoming subscription streaming service, Disney+. Deadline has confirmed that the 48-year-old Scot is in talks with the House of Mouse over a Disney+ project. There is no word on what the series might cover or when it might take place, but it would fit in neatly alongside Disney+’s other Star Wars plans, including Jon Favreau’s The Mandalorian, which was born out of the idea of a Boba Fett film, and the Rogue One prequel series following Cassian Andor.