Star Trek Into Darkness hits video on demand before DVD release
Staff Reporter | On 11, Jul 2013Reading time: 4 mins
Update: Star Trek Into Darkness is released in the UK on blinkbox, iTunes, Film 4oD and Virgin Movies on Demand on Monday 2nd September – the same day as its on-disc release. Read our review.
For those who spend their nights plotting to one day store Benedict Cumberbatch in their computers and stroke their screens lovingly, this might be as close as you get: Star Trek Into Darkness will be available on video on demand in the US before its DVD release date.
Star Trek Into Darkness will be released on Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D and DVD on Tuesday 10th September in the US – a date that’s likely to travel (more or less) over to the UK too. But Paramount are continuing the current trend for most major titles and will be making the film available on digital platforms three weeks earlier, on Tuesday 20th August.
It’s a tactic that’s increasingly commonplace these days as studios try to find a way to make their VOD titles more desirable – in 10 years’ time, that early release will hopefully have moved all the way forward to the same date as the theatrical release.
What can you expect from the disc, though? Here’s a video of one of the special featurettes, Brawl by the Bay:
Meanwhile, J.J. Abrams said this in the official press release:
“I’m excited for viewers at home to check out Star Trek Into Darkness on Blu-ray and DVD,” said J.J. Abrams. “They did a great job and I’m thrilled with how everything looks and sounds. We also have some really fun behind-the-scenes special features that we shot on the Red and created entirely in-house at Bad Robot. They really look amazing and unlike anything I’ve seen on DVD or Blu-ray before.” Abrams added: “I hope fans enjoy seeing the process that went into making the movie and the truly amazing work of our most spectacular cast and crew.”
Star Trek Into Darkness special features and specs
The STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The DVD in the combo pack is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The combo pack includes access to a digital copy of the film as well as the following:
· Feature film in high definition
· Creating the Red Planet – Experience the creation of a never-before-seen alien world, as featured in the action-packed opening sequence of the film.
· Attack on Starfleet – Go behind the scenes with the cast and filmmakers and witness the creation of the shocking attack on Starfleet Headquarters.
· The Klingon Home World – Discover the stunning world of Kronos, and see how the filmmakers reinvented the Klingons for a new generation.
· The Enemy of My Enemy – Find out how, and why, the identity of the film’s true villain was kept a mystery to the very end.
· Ship to Ship – An in-depth and thrilling look at the filming of the iconic space jump sequence, which both defied the laws of physics and pushed the limits of visual effects.
· Brawl by the Bay – Sit in with Zachary Quinto and Benedict Cumberbatch as they revisit their intense preparation for the film’s breathtaking climax.
· Continuing the Mission – An inspiring look at the partnership between the film’s crew and the organization that assists returning veterans to find meaningful ways to contribute on the home front.
· Feature film in standard definition
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack
The STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Blu-ray 3D combo pack includes all of the above, as well as the film in high definition and 3D on a disc presented in 1080p high definition with English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.
The single-disc DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The disc includes the feature film in standard definition.
The Blu-ray release will be enabled with UltraViolet, which lets you add movies to a digital collection in the cloud, and then stream or download them – reliably and securely – to a variety of devices.