HBO lines up more Thrones and a Deadwood movie
Staff Reporter | On 08, Jan 2016Reading time: 3 mins
Netflix has stolen all the news headlines this week, as the streaming service opened its online doors to almost every country in the world, making it arguably the world’s first global TV network – but old rival HBO isn’t going anywhere. In fact, HBO has big plans in store, according to two big announcements in the last 24 hours.
Deadwood is coming back
Fans of Westerns, rejoice! Deadwood is returning – and no, this is not a drill. The once-loved TV show began all the way back in 2004, before Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones were ruling the living room, and starred Timothy Olyphant and Ian “Lovejoy” McShane.
After three seasons, though, HBO gave the series the chop, never really resolving its storyline. A movie was rumoured for a while, but never materialised – until now.
— Garret Dillahunt (@garretdillahunt) August 13, 2015
Word on the street has been murmuring about a Deadwood return in recent months, but none other than HBO programming president Michael Lombardo finally confirmed to TVLine that he personally gave creator David Milch the green light to resurrect the show for a feature-length outing.
“David has our commitment that we are going to do it,” Lombardo revealed. “He pitched what he thought generally the storyline would be — and knowing David, that could change. But it’s going to happen.”
Milch has another project on the go at the moment, but will then turn his attentions to reuniting the Deadwood gang.
Despite the timing nightmares that can often occur when shows such as Arrested Development are resurrected, Lombardo doesn’t expect it to be a problem.
“The cast is unbelievably [tight]. Some casts and creators form a bond that becomes relevant for the rest of their lives. This was a defining moment for a lot of them.”
Where can you catch up with Deadwood on VOD? It briefly arrived on Amazon Prime Video last year, but sadly disappeared soon after. Watch this space, though, because it’s not out of the realms of possibility that a fresh streaming deal could be signed…
Game of Thrones will continue for two more seasons
If HBO’s ambition was ever in doubt, its second bit of news this week proves otherwise, as the network is now in talks to keep Game of Thrones going for at least a further two seasons.
George RR Martin may not have finished his latest book yet, but Lombardo told EW at the network’s Television Critics Association press tour party in Pasadena on Thursday night that talks were happening for a seventh and eighth run for the hit fantasy show. This is despite the fact that the cast is currently under option for seven seasons – although, of course, there is no guarantee that they will all make it that far. By the time we reach Season 8, it might just be Hodor talking to himself.
Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss have previously said they have plans to conclude the show after seven seasons, with an eighth season widely expected to the last, but the duo are remaining typically tight-lipped about what their overall gameplan for the story is.