Last night saw HBO’s Big Little Lies dominate the 2018 Golden Globes, sharing the spotlight with Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale – a double triumph for TV series led by women. But stream back the evening’s events and you’ll realise that there was actually only one winner: Oprah Winfrey.
Accepting the 2018 Cecil B. de Mille award, she delivered a rousing speech that had the audience whooping and standing on their feet.
“I want to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press Association because we all know the press is under siege these days,” she said. “We also know it’s the insatiable dedication to uncovering the absolute truth that keeps us from turning a blind eye to corruption and to injustice. To — to tyrants and victims, and secrets and lies. I want to say that I value the press more than ever before as we try to navigate these complicated times, which brings me to this: what I know for sure is that speaking your truth is the most powerful tool we all have. And I’m especially proud and inspired by all the women who have felt strong enough and empowered enough to speak up and share their personal stories. Each of us in this room are celebrated because of the stories that we tell, and this year we became the story.”
“For too long, women have not been heard or believed if they dare speak the truth to the power of those men. But their time is up,” she added. “Their time is up.”
Read on to see her speech in full, plus all the other highlights and best moments from last night’s red carpet and ceremony:
11. Oprah accepting the 2018 Cecil B. de Mille award
“I want all the girls watching here, now, to know that a new day is on the horizon!”
10. Natalie Portman calling out the Best Director nominees for being all male
9. The Stranger Things crew wearing Time’s Up badges
8. James Franco blocking Tommy Wiseau
7. Seth Meyers taking on Weinstein in his opening speech
6. Gary Oldman being genuinely flummoxed
5. Saoirse Ronan’s mum on Facetime
4. Big Little Lies bringing home the truth
3. Elisabeth Moss giving Margaret Atwood love
“We are no longer in the blank white spaces at the edge of the page.”
2. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel winning Best Comedy Series
“Is there cheese backstage?”
1. Did we mention Oprah?
If you still haven’t put 9 minutes of your day aside to watch this, do it now.
Click here for the full list of winners at the 2018 Golden Globes.